Thursday, March 11, 2010

Relax at the Rainbow's End - for your health

Physical well-being involves taking care of the body and that is done through good nutrition, hygiene, and exercise. As a wellness consultant, I have developed a nutrition and exercise program that works well for me to help my body function at optimal level. I watch my simple carbs, eat 5-6 servings of fruits and vegetables daily and always eat a breakfast with protein within one hour of awakening, and I drink ample pure water. I eat very little sugar and I do not use artificial sweeteners. I did smoke for 35 years, but gave that up for good 10 years ago, and I exercise 60-120 minutes per day at least three times per week, and get in at least 30-60 minutes of physical activity other days of the week. I also take quality vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and essential fatty acids. If I had to rate myself on a scale of 1 to 10, my physical well-being would be at around an 8. I still like ice cream and other foods that aren’t good for me, and I love my coffee in the morning, but I don’t think I want to give up everything I enjoy, even if it isn’t healthy for me. I just moderate it and eat healthy 95% of the time.

I have always been in touch with my spiritual side, but my ability to tap into it ebbs and flows at times when I am in a hectic cycle. My goal is to be able to tap into my spiritual side at any time, where ever I am, and no matter what circumstance I am in so that I will be able to reach my goals and handle stressers in the best possible way. On a scale of 1 to 10, my spiritual side is probably at a 7.

Psychologically, I like to look at the world through a set of rose colored glasses and always see the glass as half full, and it frustrates, saddens and bores me when I am around negative people. Negative people drain my energy. My goal is to strengthen my inner resources so that when I am around those who are negative, I am able to persuade them to at least consider letting go of their negative insight and looking at the situation from another angle. On the other hand, I try to be around only those that are like-minded and uplifting. When I was a teenager, almost 40 years ago, I was content to be alone for I knew of no one that thought as I did. I wasn’t lonely, I was self-made. I was accused of being aloof, but my mother saw me for who I was, and said that I was “shy.” On a scale of 1 to 10, I would rate myself psychologically around a 7.

One activity or exercise that I have implemented in my life to assist in moving me toward my goal to help make this world a better place is meditation. Letting go of the “chatter” that goes on in the mind, and letting go of worry and the ego is necessary to allow a more calm and peaceful existence in that will allow healing to begin. There are many ways to meditate, but my favorites include listening to a CD of someone with a calm voice taking me through the relaxation steps. Often that calm voice is accompanied by the sound of waves at the beach and other sounds of nature. One of my favorite exercises is the Rainbow Meditation.

If you would like to go to a different level, you know - have "Scotty beam you up," then go ahead and click here to complete the Rainbow Meditation relaxation exercise I am talking about.

It is said that the rainbow is a sign from God of renewed hope. I can tell you, when you go within and draw from your inner resources instead of rely on external sources, you will feel renewed. Go ahead and click here. Below is a condensed transcript of the meditation………


Rainbow Meditation –

Start out by breathing in and out, the relaxation is the best part of breathing. As I take a nice slow deep breath, I imagine that my body is a beam of light, and as light goes through my body, it is a prism and seven colors separate out. There are seven colors in a rainbow, and these are the colors that are generated through my body now.

I now focus on seven different body regions, one for each color of the rainbow. With each body region and with each color, there is a meditative thought.

I am grounded by a red light that emanates from the base of my spine. From this area is a small window and deep rich red comes from this window. This beam of light shoots down past my feet. I feel safe, comfortable and secure in my environment. I can sway in the wind but still feel stable and I am grounded to the earth. As I exhale, I say, “I feel grounded.”

From my lower stomach a bright orange comes out of my body; this symbolizes the feeling of being centered. To feel centered means to feel very confident and self worthy. As I take my next deep breath, I say, “I feel centered.”

Above that from my stomach is an intense bright yellow, which shoots out from in front of me symbolizing the feeling of love from people and from my environment. I think, “I feel loved,” as I take my next deep breath.

As I move my awareness to my upper chest from above my heart, there emerges an emerald green color, which parallels the yellow and orange colors. The heart is symbolic of the ability “to love.” To love means to share any positive feelings with anyone I choose. I think to send a positive thought to say hello and to wish someone good luck. I think that I have the ability to share love, and I think to myself as I breathe deeply, “I choose to love.”

Now I come to my throat area. There is a small circular shaped window that begins to emit a beautiful aqua blue from my throat. A light projects out from here and is parallel with the orange, yellow and green beams of light. This color aqua blue and this region, my throat, represents my ability to feel I have a meaningful purpose in my life, willpower and creativity. As I use my willpower and creativity, I begin to accomplish those things which have meaning in my life. I take a moment to think of a goal, whether it is just for today, or a life goal, and I see this image of aqua blue light and I think that I have the ability to accomplish that goal. As I take a deep breath, I think, “my life has a meaningful purpose.”

My awareness now comes to my forehead, right above my nose, between my eyes. A very rich, deep Indigo blue comes from my forehead. This color and body region of my forehead is symbolic of finding balance within myself. My sense of balance comes from the right and left brain functions being used together, as well as tapping into the conscious and unconscious mind to find balance there as well. My sense of balance also comes from the ability to tap into my body wisdom. I think, “I feel balanced,” as I exhale.

Now, I go to the crown of my head. There is a big circular shaped window. From this window comes the color violet. This beam of light projects off the top of my head, and this color and body region is symbolic of feeling connected to a bigger part of the universe. I think how good I feel inside when I feel connected with friends and family, with nature, and with the universe. I am not alone, and I am very much at peace. As I exhale, I say, “I feel connected.”

These seven colors of the rainbow separate out when light hits a prism. Now, I bring these colors all together and I am now surrounded by a brilliant white light. As my body becomes surrounded by this white light, I think how calm and relaxed my body is. I take one more deep breath, and I think, “my body is calm and relaxed.”

This is locked into my memory banks and when I am stressed or nervous, I can bring this back into my life. This restores me and calms me. I don’t feel tired or sleepy or fatigue. I feel energized. I have found the proverbial pot of gold at the rainbow’s end……..

11 comments:

  1. hello and many many thanks, You are so grounded and well rounded in what you are doing. Awesome cannot express what you process inside of you. I rated all my wellbeings a 6. I felt I am forever seekng for the ultimat goal of flourishing. You did an excellent job self made!!
    Thanks,
    Brenda A

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Brenda. You sound like you are a very independant, well rounded person. I know your clients have just got to love you and learn a lot from you. I like your suggestion about becoming stronger to tab into your spiritual side at any time, any where. I am going try that too, if you do not mind. Set your goals high, because with your strengths you will be able to do anything you set your heart to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paula, just reading the beginning of your profile and blog archive relaxed me and I felt a since of peace. You brought brightness to the blog experience with your use of colors as you described your career and the assignment as well. I would say great job and good luck with everything in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Brenda, I have been on this journey for a very long time, and I believe I finally realized I had found that level of wellbeing when I began to accomplish my goals through focus and intention. The meditation has helped a lot.

    It took me 10 years to talk myself into giving up cigarettes once and for all, and it has taken me probably 10 years to reach this level of peace that I feel.

    I hope it doesn't take you that long, but rest assured, if you NEVER give up, you WILL find that wellbeing that you desire.

    Thank you for your kind words.

    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  5. Chancey, thank you so much for your encouraging words. I don't mind at all if you tap into your spiritual side - if you do so and it is based on my suggestion, I feel very honored.

    Listen to the meditation CD. It is called something like Crime of the Century, which doesn't make sense because it is a Rainbow Meditation, but it is so calming and grounding.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi I love School; I'll have to go back to our posts and find your first name. LOL!

    This Rainbow Meditation CD was wonderful and I find it very comforting when I am struggling to maintain my peace.

    Thank you - Paula

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Paula, I really enjoyed reading the psychological well-being part. I too have a hard time being around negative people. Actually, that is the main reason why I left my last job. It was constantly surrounded by negative words, talking about people, and judging others. It was draining for me, and I would come home mentally and spiritually exhausted. I can see that being a goal for myself as well...the ability and courage to stand up to the negativity and just shower them with positive, uplifting words. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow Paula, what a post! I was so intrigued as I read what you posted this week. I can even relate to a couple of things like being around negative people and how this can drain your energy. I know what that is like because my husband is negative and no matter what I say he does not agree with me and thinks I'm too perky. I have so much energy in me and he is always tired. Many times I end up doing things on my own with my kids and leaving him behind. I will not let him spoil my mood and I need to get away at that point. It's sad at times he is the way he is, but I married him and I have to keep on living life without being miserable. I have friends who are positive and have high energy, so I visit them and we hang out and have a great time. Our children play together and life is good.

    I also liked your point on letting go of the "chatter" by listening to more meditation tapes. This is a good goal to set for yourself and one that I will be trying too. Being alone with your thoughts at times can drive you nuts, so these tapes will help tune that out and control those thoughts that stress us out.

    Keep up the good work and keep sharing your wonderful ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kristen,

    It is not easy to work around negativity and I think you were smart for leaving your previous job. That is very taxing and draining, and it isn't worth it.

    I wish you luck in your struggle/quest for being an uplifter. Just remember to quietly detach yourself and meditate upon all that is good, like God, and ask Him to come into your heart. You will feel the transition happen and all of a sudden, the negativity begins to dissipate and you can then change the course of the conversation and the mood in the room.

    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Jill,

    I'm sorry to hear about your husband. I have a husband who is sometimes negative, even to the point of being an ogre!

    Sometimes the best thing to do is just leave them alone and go be with uplifting people, like you said. With my husband, I learned that when he is being negative or moody, I will sometimes agree with him (you know, validate him). I will then just sit down and start watching tv with him, without saying anything, and pretty soon, his mood is better.

    I don't know if you've tried that, but if you haven't, try it and see if it helps.

    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  11. Mary Buirse is my name and no problem.

    ReplyDelete